Welcome to the Governor’s Mansion Online Tour
In this section, you will see select pictures and information included in our tour. Please visit us in person for a more in-depth tour!
The mansion property consists of 18 acres and was once owned by a former mayor of Atlanta, Robert Maddox. The state bought the property in 1964, demolished the existing house, and built the Governor’s mansion on the site.
Governor Carl Sanders (served 1963-1967) is responsible for this Greek revival home being built in 1967. The beautiful fountain in front of the mansion is attributed to the efforts of his wife, accomplished artist Betty Foy Sanders. The mansion architect was A. Thomas Bradbury.
During the construction of the mansion, a fine arts committee was established to raise private funds to acquire the furnishings in the mansion. The furnishings are considered to be of museum quality and one of the finest Federal period (approximately 1789-1823) collections in the United States. It is a permanent collection and belongs to the State of Georgia. The collection does not change from one Governor’s administration to the next.
From 1838-1868, the Governor’s mansion was located in Milledgeville, Georgia and is open for public tours. After Georgia’s state capitol moved from Milledgeville to Atlanta in 1868, the state purchased the John James residence located at the present day corner of Peachtree Street and Andrew Young Boulevard for the Governor’s residence. 17 Governors occupied this large Victorian home until it was demolished in 1923. The Westin Peachtree Plaza Hotel is now located at this site. In 1925, the state acquired a large granite home from the estate of Edwin Ansley, located at what is now called the Prado in Ansley Park (mid-town Atlanta). That home housed 11 Governors before it was vacated and demolished in 1968.
Lester Maddox was the first Governor to reside in this mansion when it opened in 1968. His administration was followed by Jimmy Carter, George Busbee, Joe Frank Harris, Zell Miller, Roy Barnes, and Sonny Perdue. Gov. Nathan Deal is the eighth governor to occupy the Governor’s mansion.
There are 30 Doric columns made from 24 feet high California redwoods that surround the porch. The columns have been hollowed out and serve as part of the flat roof’s water drainage system. The mansion has 30 rooms and is approximately 24,000 square feet.
All of the rooms on the first floor are used primarily by the Governor and First Lady for official state functions.