Circular Staircase Hallway
The chandelier is made from a 20th-century American chandelier and a 19th-century Italian chandelier (salvaged from the Atlanta Progressive Club’s building that was destroyed by fire). There were sufficient pieces left from both to combine them and make this chandelier. A crank in the attic lowers the chandelier for cleaning.
The portrait above the staircase is of Hugh McCall, one of Georgia’s earliest historians. He wrote the first official history of Georgia, “The History of Georgia” (first volume 1811, second volume 1816). The Daughters of the American Revolution donated a set of McCall's books to the mansion (located in entry hall bookcase).
The large gold urn above the staircase is made of wood and 24-carat gold leaf. French (1810).
The large alabaster vase under the circular staircase was made in England (circa 1860). It is a replica of the Warwick vase which was discovered in 1789-90 at Roman Emperor Hadrian’s villa in Tivoli, Italy (ruled 117-138 A.D). Once restored, the vase was eventually given to the English Earl of Warwick-thus called the Warwick Vase. The acting masks and motifs relate to the Roman god of wine-Bacchus.
In 1776, John Hancock (President of the Continental Congress) commissioned Charles Peale to paint George Washington’s portrait. In 1778, Hancock commissioned Samuel King to paint this copy of Peale’s portrait of Washington. Hancock presented King’s copy to the French Admiral, Comte D’Estaing, whose fleet was docked in Boston harbor for repairs.
On the vase is a portrait of Benjamin Franklin. He was the American commissioner to France from 1778-1785 and instrumental in getting France to support America during the Revolutionary War. This a porcelain vase with a 24-carat gold gilt is one of the rarest pieces at the mansion. Paris (circa 1810). It portrays a hand-painted medallion that was taken from Franklin’s life portrait by Carle Van Loo.
The mahogany pier table (also known as a petticoat table) is attributed to Charles Lannuier, a French-born cabinet maker who came to America in 1803. (1815).
The carpet on the stairs was made in Georgia specifically for the Governor’s mansion.